Good news! If you're a full-time, on-campus student at LU or LIT, you're already a Rec Sports member. We also have memberships available for faculty, staff, alumni, and others in the LU and LIT communities.
Membership has it perks! Once you become a Rec Sports Member, you'll have access to a wide range of services, from locker rentals to equipment checkout, personal training, and more.
Rec Sports memberships are available to the following groups:
1. Currently Enrolled LU & LIT Students
- Students enrolled in on-campus classes at LU and LIT pay the Recreational Sports Fee each semester as part of their tuition and fees.
- These students are automatically members of Recreational Sports.
- They receive full benefits by presenting their ID when entering the Sheila Umphrey Recreational Sports Center or the Indoor Pool.
- Students who are enrolled in online classes only, classes held off-campus, study abroad classes, or other classes that do not meet on a regular basis on the LU or LIT campuses do not pay the Recreational Sports Fee and do not have access to the Recreational Sports Center.
- These students can pay the Recreational Sports Fee at the Cashier's Window in the Wimberly Building (LU) or Beeson Building (LIT).
- Fees for off-campus student passes are the same as the regular Recreational Sports Fee paid by on-campus students.
- Proof of enrollment at LU/LIT is required at the time of purchase.
- If a student is not enrolled in Summer sessions at LU/LIT, Summer passes are available if the student was enrolled in the prior Spring semester and is enrolled in the coming Fall semester.
- Summer passes may be purchased at the Cashier's Window in the Wimberly Building (LU) or Beeson Building (LIT).
- Passes are $37.50 per Summer session.
Dropped or Non-Enrolled Students
- Students who drop all of their classes or are no longer considered a student at LU or LIT will have inactive memberships and will not have access to Rec Sports facilities or services.
2. Currently Employed LU & LIT Faculty/Staff Members
- Memberships are available for current LU and LIT faculty/staff members for $252 per year.
- Faculty/Staff members must visit the Cashier's Window in the Wimberly Building to purchase a membership.
- Members will be required to set up monthly payroll deduction for the Rec Sports membership fee.
- Faculty and staff may purchase one additional membership for a spouse or family member for an additional $252 per year.
- Additional member must be age 18 or older and must show proof of shared residence with the LU/LIT employee.
- Employee must be a current Rec Sports member and must maintain membership to purchase a Spouse/Other membership.
3. Retired LU & LIT Faculty/Staff Members
- Memberships are available for retired LU and LIT faculty and staff who have a valid Lamar University Retiree card for $252 per year.
- Retirees must visit the Cashier's Window in the Wimberly Building to purchase a membership and must pay the membership fee in full.
- Retirees may also purchase one additional membership for a spouse/family member (with proof of same residence shown) over age 18 for an additional $252 per year. Retiree must be a member and maintain membership in order to purchase a Spouse/Other membership.
4. Alumni: LU Alumni Century Club Members & LIT Alumni President's Club Members
- Memberships are available to alumni for $456 per year in addition to Alumni Fees.
- Alumni are graduates of LU or LIT.
- Alumni may purchase one additional membership for a spouse/family member for an additional $456 per year.
- Additional member must be age 18 or older and must show proof of shared residence with the LU/LIT alumni.
- Parking permits are provided at the time of purchase.
- Contact the LU Office of Alumni Affairs at 409-880-8921 or the LIT Alumni Association at 409-839-2983 for more information.
Expiration & Proration
The monthly costs of all non-student memberships are prorated from September 1. All non-student memberships expire August 31 and must be renewed yearly.
All vehicles parked on Lamar University property are required to display a current parking permit. Parking Lot C-1 in front of the Rec Center allows the following tags:
- Senior Student: 7:00 am to 12:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
- Student: 12:00 pm to 10:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
- Faculty/Staff: No restrictions with current F/S tag.
- Alumni: Must display Alumni Rec Sports Member parking pass.
- All-permit parking is available adjacent to Lot C-1 in front of the LIT Multipurpose Center.
- Day Lockers are located throughout the Rec Sports Center and may be user free of charge.
- Patrons are strongly encouraged to secure their belongings with a lock.
- Items may not be left overnight in these lockers.
Locker Room Lockers
- Full-size lockers in the Rec Center Locker Rooms are available for rental on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Locker rentals begin on the first day of classes each semester.
- Lockers are rented through the Rec Sports Marketplace and cost $15 per semester or $40 per calendar year.
- Locks are provided by the Rec Sports Center.
- Losing a Rec Center-issued lock will result in a $15 charge to your account.
- Members may share their lockers with other members. However, only the individual that rented the locker will have access to locker numbers, combinations, or contents after clean-out.
- Locker combinations will not be given out over the phone. Members must show a photo ID when requesting their locker combination.
- Lockers not renewed or cleared out by their expiration date will have their contents removed by Rec Sports staff. Contents are stored for 30 days after clean-out and then donated to charity.
- Lockers in the Indoor Pool Locker Rooms may be rented from the Health and Kinesiology Department, located in the Human Health Performance Complex A Room 101.
- Towels may be checked out from the Equipment Checkout Desk in the Rec Center.
- Show your LU/LIT ID card to the attendant to receive either a full-size bath towel or a hand towel.
- Towels must be returned to the Equipment Checkout Desk and may not be removed from the building.
- Unreturned towels will result in a charge on your account.
- Items found abandoned at Rec Sports facilities are stored in the Lost and Found at the Information Desk in the Sheila Umphrey Recreational Sports Center.
- Rec Sports is not responsible for any lost or stolen items.
- We strongly encourage patrons to lock their belongings in a locker during their visit to the Rec Sports Center.
- Lost CardinalOne cards are returned to the ID Office on the first floor of the Wimberly Building.
- High-value items, such as computers and cell phones, are given to the LU Police Department for storage in their Lost and Found.
- Lost and Found items are stored for two months before donation to local charities.