All members, visitors, participants, and spectators of Recreational Sports events or facilities must abide by the following policies. For more information about Rec Sports policies and procedures, contact the Director at 409-880-2306 or email RecSports@Lamar.edu.
* A valid LU Cardinal One student ID card, LIT student ID card, LU or LIT faculty/staff/alumni ID card, or Rec Sports Membership card must be presented by the card holder to gain facility access. Rec Sports staff reserves the right to ask for additional photo ID or presentation of photo ID at any time.
* Patrons must present a valid LU/LIT ID card or Rec Sports membership card upon request of any Rec Sports staff member.
* Patrons under the age of 18 are only permitted to use the Indoor Pool and must be accompanied by a parent or guardian with a valid Rec Sports membership at all times.
* Members and students will be denied access to Rec Sports facilities if the member or student fails to provide a valid photo ID at the time entry is attempted.
* Memberships are non-transferable. Individuals may not use someone else's ID card to gain facility access. Unauthorized use of an LU, LIT, or Recreational Sports ID card is fraud. An LU, LIT, or Recreational Sports ID card not belonging to the card bearer will be immediately confiscated, an Incident Report will be completed, and the bearer will be asked to leave. The card bearer and the card owner may face campus disciplinary action.
* Membership is a privilege which may be modified or revoked for cause.
* A patron's use of an LU, LIT, or Recreational Sports ID card to gain entry to a Rec Sports facility constitutes acceptance of the terms and conditions in effect at the time of use.
Patrons who do not adhere to the Fitness Center rules and guidelines may have their Recreational Sports membership suspended, terminated, or revoked. The Recreational Sports Fitness Center staff reserves the right to refuse service to any patron who violates any rule or guideline, or who engages in any verbal and/or physical abuse of the Fitness Center staff, Recreational Sports staff, or other patrons.
- All participants must wear proper attire, which includes closed-toe shoes and shirts. Pants with belts or metal rivets and cut-off pants are not allowed. Proper athletic gear must be worn at all times.
- Food, beverages, and gum (with the exception of water in bottles) are not permitted in the Fitness Center.
- Personal music may only be played using headphones.
- Members are required to pick up after themselves; discard trash and remove personal items when you exit the Fitness Center.
- Personal items, bags, and other items are to be stored in lockers only and not on the Fitness Center floor. Staff members are not permitted to hold valuables.
- Lamar University is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Please report all injuries and any equipment failures to a Fitness Center staff member.
Cardio Equipment Guidelines
- During peak hours, or while other people are waiting, please limit your time on a piece of cardio equipment to 30 minutes.
- Wipe down each piece of cardio equipment for the next user.
Weight Training Equipment Guidelines
- Please replace all dumbbells on the appropriate racks, in the assigned spaces, when you have finished using them.
- Due to the risk of potential injury, we recommend using a spotter when training with free weights.
- Please allow other users to "work in" or take turns. Do not monopolize several pieces of equipment while others are waiting.
- Please properly wipe down equipment when finished.
- Do not drop free weights on the floor or allow weights to crash together.
- Do not lift more weight than is comfortable and safe. It is strongly recommended that you are properly oriented on all of the exercise equipment prior to beginning an exercise program.
Day Locker Use
- Day Lockers are on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Day Lockers are available for use during your visit only. All belongings must be removed from Day Lockers upon exit of the Fitness Center.
- Personal locks may be used, but they must be removed from Day Lockers upon exit of the Fitness Center. Unauthorized locks are cut off nightly and contents of the locker may be removed.
- Athletic shoes, shirts, and shorts/pants must be worn at all times.
- No jeans or other non-athletic attire.
- No sagging. Shorts/pants must be worn at the waist.
- No jewelry may be worn.
- No profanity or offensive behavior.
- No dunking. No weak fouls.
- A gym employee must sign you in after 4:00 pm. -- First names only. -- No nicknames.
- If you are already on the court, you may not sign up to play on another team.
- Do not erase the board.
- All games are eight minutes; if tied, the first score wins.
- No open drinks on the court.
- We will check ID's as needed.
- Absolutely no horseplay.
- Athletic shoes, shirts, and shorts/pants must be worn at all times.
- No black-soled or marking shoes of any type.
- Racquets and racquetballs may be checked out from the Equipment Desk.
- Racquetball goggles must be worn at all times. You must provide your own goggles.
- Eyeglasses must be covered by goggles.
- Goggles and racquetballs can be purchased at the Pro Shop.
- The Racquetball Courts will be unavailable when in use by Health & Kinesiology classes. If asked, please clear the courts to accommodate these classes.
- No hard-soled or high-heel shoes may be worn on the course.
- No food or drink allowed on the course.
- Do not drop clubs on the course.
- No horseplay. Be considerate of others.
- Always play without delay.
- Sharing clubs is not permitted. Each player is allowed only 1 ball.
- Swing putter no higher than knee level.
- Ball nearest the cup putts first. No more than 6 strokes per hole per player.
- Wait until the group in front is out of the way before making a stroke.
- Do not move behind, talk to, or stand closely to a player making a stroke.
- Do not step on the line of anyone's putt.
- Replace the flagstick in an upright position.
- Leave the course in the condition you found it.
See the Climbing Wall Policies page for complete information.
See the Indoor Pool Policies page for complete information.
Activity Areas in the Sheila Umphrey Recreational Sports Center include the Fitness Center/Weight Areas; Indoor Soccer/Multipurpose Court, Racquetball Courts, Main Gym/Basketball Courts; Fitness Studio; Upstairs Track and Workout Area, and Climbing Wall.
Appropriate athletic attire must be worn in all Activity Areas of the Rec Center at all times. “Street clothes” are permitted in the Lounge/Game Room, Café and Commons/Foyer Areas.
In order to help maintain a healthy, safe, and respectful environment, patrons are required to abide by the following guidelines:
- Closed-toe, non-marking athletic shoes that cover the entire foot must be worn at all times.
- NO cleats, sandals, flip-flops, high heels, or any other non-athletic shoes permitted.
- NO marking, streaking, or muddy shoes permitted in all areas of the Rec Center.
- Appropriate attire is defined as tops or tanks that cover the torso. This includes the chest, back, midriff and rib cage.
- Athletic bottoms, of an acceptable length and material, must be worn at all times.
- NO jeans, dress pants, cargo pants, belts, or other attire with metal zippers, clasps or hooks.
- NO sagging shorts or pants.
- All tightfitting and/or overly translucent bottoms must have an additional layer of minimal length over them. This includes any pair of shorts, pants or tights that are tightfitting in nature and do not extend beyond the knees in length.
- Overly short and/or transparent bottoms are not permitted.
- Patrons are asked to wipe down weight equipment, benches and cardiovascular machines after with provided sanitary wipes available throughout the fitness areas. Articles of clothing such as shirts, sweatshirts, and hats cannot be substituted for a towel.
- As a courtesy to others, please use a towel to cover surfaces that make contact with the skin (benches, seats, headrests, etc.)
- NO jewelry may be worn on Basketball Courts or in Soccer/Multipurpose Area during competitive play.
- Protective eyewear must be worn at all times on the Racquetball Courts.
- NO hats, head wraps, skull caps, or bandanas may be worn in any area of the Rec Center.
- Sweat bands, women’s head wraps with an opening at the top, and religious head coverings are allowed.