History and Mission
History of the Setzer Student Center
For decades, the Setzer Student Center served as the center of campus life at Lamar University, providing a home for clubs and organizations, student government, the campus newspaper, and more.
The first Student Union was built in 1942 for what was then known as the Lamar State College of Technology. A new Student Union was completed in 1953 for the rapidly expanding campus. After renovations and additions completed in 1963, the building was rededicated as the Setzer Student Center.
Plans for a large-scale SSC renovation project began when students recognized the need for major improvements to our aging Student Center. The university conducted many focus groups and meetings to get feedback from the students to ensure that the new design will meet the diverse needs of the entire university population.
During the Spring 2012 semester, the Student Government Association, led by then-president Andrew Greenberg, passed a student-wide referendum to finance renovation and remodeling the Setzer Student Center. The vote was passed with 81% approval. The Setzer Center closed for major renovations in October 2016 and is set to reopen in Spring 2018.
The Setzer Student Center provides programs that enhance personal, social, and leadership development to compliment the educational growth of Lamar University students. The Setzer Student Center also serves as the center of campus life and provides a shared home for the University; welcoming students, faculty, alumni, staff, parents, and guests.