Sport Clubs are registered student organizations that provide a program of instruction, recreation, or competition in a specific sport. The Sport Clubs Program is part of the Department of Recreational Sports. Rec Sports provides oversight, resources, and support to each club.
Successful clubs depend on outstanding student leaders. Club leaders should have the initiative and drive to handle club administrative duties and motivate team members to stay involved and active in the Club.
Responsibilities of Each Club
- Write and implement a comprehensive working constitution
- Elect/Appoint leaders and recruit new members
- Organize practices and competitions
- Establish dues and operating procedures
- Publicize and promote the club
- Sport Clubs are responsible for their own finances and expenses
- This include the costs of travel, entry fees, and equipment
- Clubs may charge dues, seek donations, and hold fundraisers
- Sport clubs may also request financial support from the Department of Recreational Sports
- Clubs are open to students, faculty, and staff of Lamar University and the Lamar Institute of Technology who meet the requirements for participation in extracurricular activities in the Student Handbook.
- Each club establishes their own membership requirements, dues, and club programs.
- Usually, all skill levels are welcome. All you need is interest in the sport and a willingness to participate.
- Each club must have an active club advisor.
- Most clubs focus on skilled, intercollegiate competition beyond the intramural level and represent LU in tournaments across the region and nation.
- These clubs meet regularly for practice sessions to enhance the skills of the club.
- Clubs are usually coached and managed by students or faculty/staff members.
- Some clubs focus more on being a fun, social activity for members.
How to Join
Pick a club you're interested in and email the club president for the practice schedule, club meetings, and more. For more information, contact the Sport Clubs Office at 409-880-7862 or email@example.com.